Monday, March 12, 2007

My first cake!

Ok this entry is lyk 3 wks late. But like they say - better late than never.

Neways, 26th of Feb was Fenny's 21st bday and I wanted to do 'sth special'. Was thinking of doing some craft stuff but i've been doing tt so often and i didn't haf much time to make sth really nice. Been watching this HK drama about baking and stuff where they make lots n lots of too-pretty-to-eat cakes and that made me wanna make cakes like those too (someday I will...) I've liked baking, but usually my role is just a baker assistant to my mom and hafn been baking since SMoo made my life soo super hectic. So i decided to bake my first cake just for Fenny *awwww....*

I started experimenting with brownies for my dad's b'day, which was on Feb also. It was just an excuse to mess up the kitchen actually cuz my dad dun really like cakes. I didn't know baking is a lot of work, esp since I'm a noob and I did everything by myself . Really thankful for my ever-so-patient, helpful and encouraging mom. I've this habit of starting sth and not finishing it. So when i baked, i dun usually finish the cleaning up. Thankfully my wonderful mom did the cleaning and washing up (I do the cleaning up now, fyi). The brownies turned ok tho it looked NOTHING like in the picture. It tasted ok too, for a first attempt. It was juz a bit dry when it was sposed to be fudgy. Thankful for the ppl who agreed to be my guinea pigs (they're still alive, fyi).

So I braced myself for baking cakes. And guess how my first choc cake turned out? Let's just say my mom jokingly said that I've invented a new kind of cake, called the 'Volcano' and that it looked cool. erm... thanks, mom.

It wasn't bad (nth's really bad if u use choc, i think), but definitely not presentable. I realised i read the recipe wrongly. It asked for fresh milk. I used powdered milk o.O



"If at first you don't succeed, try n try again". So try again, I did. And this is how it looked like.


Still looked like a volcano, but at least better; the first one was lopsided. I really think the oven was the problem (and of course, my lousy skill). Even my mom had already warned me b4. Uneven heat, I think.

But after an Extreme Makeover....











Not bad, eh....








The b'day girl and my cake :):)





The 2 people who seemed to enjoy the cake the most. haha....



thx for the nice comments guys. Really appreciate it :):)




Hmmm but i think it was juz Ernest's ploy to make me make him my signature potato salad, which he likes very much. hee...

Another Extreme Makeover done to the first 'Volcano'









Ittadakimasu! :)

If u notice, actually the top and bottom layer are different cuz they are from different batch. The top part was made by my mom (cuz one of the volcanoes cudnt be used :P). It's drier but my mom added rum to it.

The bottom part is softer, more spongy and more chocolatey. Made by me, of coz.

All the guys who ate it (abt 6 of them), except for one prefer the top, while all the girls like the bottom. I didnt tell them tt my mom made the top part until after they ate it.

I'm not trying to be psychologist or anything, but these are the possible analysis:

  1. Guys like motherly touch. I'm not saying girls don't. But er how shud i say this... guys still prefer their mother than their girlfriend/girl-friend.
  2. Guys. Alcohol. 'Nuff said.
  3. Girls are naturally 'soft-natured'. And we make ppl happy. (if u dunno alr, choc induce the production of endorphine - the feel-good chemical) In essence, we are sweet, soft, and nice ;)
  4. Whereas, guys likes to act tough, hard-headed and dry. LOL.... generalisation, of coz.
  5. (go infer some more)

Okie, the end of the long post. gah! shud be studying my tax now. ciao!

No comments: